Thursday, April 22, 2010

Got the PS2

I got a PS2 last night, and we installed it in the living room. At first everything was going well, but then we started playing our classic PS1 titles, aaaaaaand it came up with disc read error after disk read error.

Flash was upset because his games are all PS1 titles and we were hoping this system would fix the problems he had been having. Me being a computer geek and proud of the fact that I fixed a PS2 around 2 years ago, I went to unscrewing the monstrosity, and breaking in to preform the fix that I had known so well.

However when I opened it up I was immediately lost. on the outside it looked the same as my original, but after opening it I saw that the power buttons were mounted inside the lower half, and not on the lid, and the disc tray cover was mounted differently as well.

It took me a grand total of 15min, but I finally got to the inner DVD tray, and yet again was lost. The white gear that adjusted the laser in my old PS2 was not there. I found two white gears in the back, but they did not control the laser. I was about to give up when i told Flash we might as well clean the laser while we were in, so we grabbed an alcohol dipped Q-tip and cleaned the lens.

15min later we were playing ALL of the PS1 titles. Turned out this was a dusty system and it needed cleaning. I am glad that was all it was, and flash is glad to have his games back.

This morning I ran into more troubles, the parental controls were in the way, but I entered a code, and turned it off.

The console works perfectly. It came with a Sony brand controller, and a wireless controller as well. we are loving it so far, and already have a plan on which games we are going to get.

1 comment:

Jessica Rebekah said...

Hey.

The problems with the PS2 must have been very frustrating but I’m glad you could sort it out - what a lot of trouble dust can cause! :D

~Jess