Saturday, January 30, 2010

Misconseptions of life: Witch craft and Evolution

For the past three years I have been on a witch hunt against any form of witchcraft in stories. I relaxed on that a bit, but my stance on sorcery, and spell casting, and hand signs used for magical purposes remain the same. I do not tolerate Harry potter, or any other witch story. I however have realized that the term Magic, is really synonymous with miracle. At least in today’s culture.

As that is the case, just saying something has magic in it does not mean anything. It is the definition of magic that counts here. C.S. Lewis used the word in a way that referred to both. Interestingly though he always had it so that Witchcraft caused nothing but harm. I use witches in my story as powerful villains that destroy.

Now I am pretty certain that I have got it right in that way. I do have to question one thing. What about evolution? I ban one religion, and yet I watch X-men. Comic books about how people have evolved into god-like forms, and with super powers. And so I wonder if it is a good idea to continue.

Now X-men cover many good things. They are not perfect, but they do have good points. And to further complicate matter one of their main good guys is a devout believer. It makes one have to ask questions.

This is one of those times that I am NOT sure. I can not answer this one because it is too complicated. This is the grey area that always makes me uncomfortable. My usual method is to ban it and then ask questions later, but this time I find it more difficult to decide what to do.

What do you say? Is X-men on the same level of Harry Potter? Or is it just a simple background to a more important tale.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay: I believe that Harry Potter is pure evil. I HAVE seen the movie and I have also read part of the book, and both times my reaction has been that it is a mockery of Christianity and an evil influence on children today. (Especially since it tries to give the impression that the whole thing is real...) As for X-men, based on what I've heard about it, I don't think it,s that bad. Okay, they're...animal-human-super-powered...things. BUT I don't think that it is 'making fun' of Christianity and it is not an evil influence on children today. It's on the same level as Superman: cool, but we KNOW it's not real.

Great post Adam, can't wait for more :)

UndoTheHorsePen