Monday, May 3, 2010

Second post today, look below for the other.

I had a crazy school assignment: Take two books, write down 5 sentences from each, and use at least 6 of them in a short 1 or 2 page story. These are the books and sentences:

Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports:

Used - I crossed my arms as Fang and I instinctively moved between the whitecoat and the rest of the flock.
Used - “And then everyone starts eating beef jerky,” Nudge suggested.
Used - She knew we were way, way up the creek, and that I had no plan, and that we had no hope.
Used - Pink patches flared on her cheeks, and she stepped back.
Used - Fang and I exchanged looks, and we rolled our eyes.

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader:

The children didn't meet anyone whom they knew; the prisoners were mostly Galmians and Terebinthians.
Used - Meanwhile Caspian was having a much more interesting time.
Used - Lucy looked away after a few minutes because she was dazzled by the beauty of the other Lucy; though she could still see a sort of likeness to herself in that beautiful face.
Used - She became horribly afraid and turned over the page at once.
Used - But here part of the magic of the Book came into play.


And this is the result.

Lucy and the Ducks.

I crossed my arms as Fang and I instinctively moved between the whitecoat and the rest of the flock. I hated when these scientists came to my farm, My dog, Fang, was especially protective of the ducks. This scientist name was Lucy. Her hair was a slight mess, but over all she was pretty. I did not care how pretty she was though; she was not getting my birds.

I must explain myself here though, most farmers do not own talking ducks. I do, I breed them carefully for their range of vocal capabilities, and over these years I had finally developed fully functional vocal cord for talking, and these pesky scientists wanted them to pick apart dissect and study. I was not about to give them up just yet.
“The answer is no.” I said.

I stood there wondering where Caspian was, he was always off doing something crazy or other. I looked Lucy in the eyes. “You may come inside and we will discuss things, but my answer will invariably be no.”
“That would be nice to at least talk, I have driven for two days to get out here.” Lacy said. I rolled my eyes, and walked toward the old home. I opened the rickety front door to the all wood building. Lucy took a seat on the checkered couch. I went into the kitchen and got myself, and Lucy some tea.
Lucy was in the next room flipping through a book. I looked over and smiled.
Caspian was the inventor of our crew, and he made that book to freak anyone who read it. Lucy was only at the begging, and I was worried it would not start working. But here part of the magic of the Book came into play. She flipped the page and lights started glowing off her face. She gasped. She became horribly afraid and turned over the page at once.

I smiled as I walked into the room. I handed her a cup of tea. She took it but looked into the page with a slight horror written on her face. I looked down on the page and realized she reached the distorted mirror part. In it was a Lucy similar to the one before me, but far more beautiful and terrible. Lucy looked away after a few minutes because she was dazzled by the beauty of the other Lucy; though she could still see a sort of likeness to herself in that beautiful face. I reached over and closed the book.

“Caspian made that.” I explained. “He is good with his hands.”
“I can see.” An obviously rattled Lucy said.
“You wanted to discuss the ducks?” I said, wanting to get this over with.
“Yes, I am prepared to hand over five million for the ducks, and the right to study them.” Lucy said.
“No.” I said.
“They told me you would say that.” Lucy sighed.
“I meant no, I am willing to let you go out and see them.” I said, and tossed a bone to Fang.

She smiled, and I stood up. I shoved the lever that opened the door, and walked outside. I was incredibly bored and frustrated with this whitecoat.
Meanwhile Caspian was having a much more interesting time. I just knew it. He always was having fun. He created all kinds of crazy inventions.

I reached the pen, and the ducks all came a running, and were jabbering about nothing in particular. There were a few that I liked in particular, such as Daffy, Or Donald, but the one that ruled over them all was Nudge. I loved Nudge the best because she picked up mostly insults, and snide remarks, making her one of the funniest around strangers.

“The ducks need feeding darling.” One of them shouted. I laughed and grabbed the feed bucket. Me and Lucy stepped inside. She seemed both amazed and stunned. I started feeding them, and heard a bunch of “thank yous” and a few “Whatevers” But Nudge stayed out and looked at Lucy.
“And then everyone starts eating beef jerky,” Nudge suggested.
Lucy looked at Nudge in shock. Pink patches flared on her cheeks, and she stepped back.
“This is amazing.” Lucy said. “You must let us study them.”
“No.” I said yet again.

The most unexpected thing happened next. Fang ran out barking, and I heard a loud machine. I twirled around, and saw Caspian riding a rocket tractor. I screamed as he leaped off.
“Bad news!” Nudge squawked, and the tractor smashed through the fence before coming to a halt. Many of the ducks started flapping and quacking like mad, and I swore I heard a cuss word coming from Nudge. I would have to deal with that later though. Ducks were escaping through the hole in the fence and heading for the creek.

“Get them Caspian!” I yelled. We ran after them, but it was Lucy who did the sensible thing and grabbed an old door laying against the house and blocked the hole with it. I ran after Daffy who was the furthest ahead, but he made it to the creek first. I ran to the dock and shoved the raft into the water. Lucy came up from behind and hopped onto the raft as well. The rains from the day before were causing the creek to run really fast we headed for Daffy as fast as we could. Caspian was screaming from up above. I pulled out a net attached to the raft, and handed it to Lucy. She tried to reach for the duck. I used the rod to steer the raft.

She grabbed Daffy. I heard Fang barking from above. I suddenly realized we were going to too fast. Caspian appeared to be riding his rocket tractor. I looked at Lucy.
“We will get out of this.” I said. But one look from her eyes told me everything. She knew we were way, way up the creek, and that I had no plan, and that we had no hope. I refused to give up on hope though, and looked ahead at Caspian. The water was rushing around and bucking us. I tried to stay calm, but it was not easy. I suddenly jabbed the rod down hard, and tried to slow us down.

The rod snapped though.
I looked up at Caspian, who threw out a net. The raft caught up in it. I braced for the impact, but Lucy smashed her head against the raft as it came to a halt. Caspian held on surprisingly and started to pull us out. I was grateful for his recent workouts now. We reached dry land, and I got out. Daffy was safe. I was soaked, and Lucy was screaming still.
“You people are crazy!” She yelled. She stormed away for her truck, and I smiled.
“You people will not be hearing from me again” She yelled.
Fang and I exchanged looks, and we rolled our eyes. I paused, and realized that a dog just rolled its eyes. I looked at Caspian, and he shrugged.
“Guess we need to build a new fence.” He said. I smiled and walked back towards home.

1 comment:

~Amy Thomson~ said...

OMW!!! :D really funny!