Saturday, November 28, 2009

Winter

Winter is commonly associated with death. I have always thought this was a mistake. Death is a permanent thing, winter is not. I personally like winter, and don't understand why a lot of people don't like it. Here I'm going to give my take on winter.

Winter is a peaceful time where everything turns a kind of grey. Now most people hate it, but I like it because it's such a reflective time. I find all the time to think about previous events of the year, and relive times I liked. This time is important to all humans as we need our pasts to live in the present. If we didn't ever reflect on our experiences we would never have any depth in out lives, and would be just as shallow and inexperienced as toddlers. We also find joy in our day to day lives that we will remember for longer than we would expect.

Winter is not just a time for reflection, but also a time for rest. We humans need rest just as we have to work. If we didn't have times of rest we would become weak, hostile, and our day to day lives would become so distorted and weird that we would turn on those we care about in a desperate attempt for the rest we crave.

If nothing else then winter is just a time when you don't have to mow the lawn.

Hope you all have a happy and peaceful winter.
Adam Brewer

2 comments:

Birdie said...

I like your take on things. I would much rather think of winter as a season of rest than a season of mourning.

Laura said...

That is very interesting. I like that you also do not associate winter with death, for although winter can be a harsh season, it too passes.

~Laura